Fitness Inc. ANNUAL STRONGMAN CLASSIC
History of the Strongman Classic
As with many things, what began as a small idea has grown into a big deal.
Fitness Inc.’s Strongman Classic, held annually during Sam Steele Days every June, started in 2004 with a fleeting idea and a lot of heart… then in 2005 came the help of two strong men.
Grant McReynolds and Cory Gillespie were competitors in other Strongman events across the country and internationally. They responded to the need for official judges for Cranbrook’s event and in doing so, shared their knowledge.
Today, the Strongman Classic is a cornerstone of Sam Steele Days, with competitors and spectators alike enjoying the day while taking part in an exciting show. The Strongman Classic is also a fundraiser, always in support of Cranbrook’s chapter of the BCSPCA; major sponsors like Trickle Creek Golf Resort, Mountain Spirit Resort, St. Eugene, Bridge Interiors, Lawn Barbers and Canyon Raft Company are huge contributors to the event, donating the raffle prizes. Between the support of these local businesses and the community, Fitness Inc. has been overjoyed to donate more than $32,000 to the BCSPCA in the last nine years.
Fitness Inc. extends gratitude and thanks to all the people involved in the event, from the sponsors to the competitors, from the volunteers to the spectators. Such an endeavor is only possible through the support and hard work of those committed to putting on and improving the Strongman Classic!
- Hand Over Hand Truck Pull – 42,000 KG. 90 second time limit.
- Power Stairs – 250, 300 and 350 lb implements. 90 second time limit.
- Pressing Medley – 175 lb metal log, 150 lb shield and 180 lb apollon axle. 90 second time limit.
- Atlas Stones – 240, 260, 300, 335, 365 and 400 lbs. 90 second time limit.
- Medley – 600 lb super yoke for 50 feet followed by 290 lb husael carry for 50 feet. Two-minute time limit.
- Hand Over Hand Truck Pull – 24,000 KG. 90 second time limit.
- Pressing Medley – 75 lb shield, 100 lb keg and 90 lb apollon axle. 90 second time limit.
- Conan’s Wheel – 250 lb. No time limits.
- Atlas Stones – 115, 175, 200, and 240 lbs. 90 second time limit.
- Medley – Pre-loaded 275 lb sled drag followed by power stairs with 150, 200, and 250 lb implements. Two-minute time limit.